Saturday, February 11, 2012

a place to belong

True confession: I don't know many artists "in real life", and I definitely don't know anyone who blends knitting and metal as I do. (Unless someone has skills they're not revealing...) That's where the internet comes in handy. Thanks to various forums and groups, I've gotten to know some amazingly talented artists, many of whom were kind enough to pass some of their knowledge on to me.  But it's easy to get lost in a forum - for me, anyway, who has been known to get lost in my local mall. Sad but true, my husband says I need "indoor GPS".

Enter teams and guilds. Awhile ago I joined the Fiber Arts Guild, and recently things there have really picked up, thanks to our new captain, PiratePixieCrew. We've got a facebook page, a blog, we tweet, we pinterest.... about the only thing we don't do is YouTube. Yet. There is so much good stuff in our guild! I encourage you to check it out - there's hats, scarves, handwarmers, jewelry, patterns, and adorable whimsies like this felted top hat:


I love the sense of community, of togetherness, that we have. Everyone loves fiber, and even though my "fiber" is unconventional, they have all welcomed me with open arms. It's also a great place to discuss knitting and know that I'm not driving everyone nuts. ;-) Not that I'm obsessed or anything...

And, because if one is good, two are great, I also joined a the creative "Wired" team. Here's one of my favorite pieces from a fellow artist and team member, sarahndippity.


This makes me want to learn how to wire weave and wire wrap. Total gorgeousness, and it's now on my wish list, just in case the hubby is reading this. ;) The Wired team is busy as well, and very friendly. Seeing so much finely crafted work inspires me to hone my skills, pay more attention to detail, and take chances. As a result of getting involved in these vibrant groups of artists, I've been emboldened to try some new things that you're really going to like.

If you are an artist and you're feeling lonely or like you've lost your creative edge, I strongly encourage you to join a like minded group, guild, or team of fellow artisans. You can find groups according to geography, craft, or other common interests like sports. Getting involved like this has been a shot in the arm for me.

Coming soon: some of the new collections - one of which was inspired by this very special munchkin and her love of all things sparkly, just like her momma!

No comments:

Post a Comment